The vision of Kids Alive International is to reflect the love of Christ by rescuing and nurturing suffering children-in-crisis, so that they can grow into godly men and women who will live Christ-like lives in their communities and around the world.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

LA PLAYA (The Beach)

Since their arrival at the Arc in Constanza in July, the new directors, Arcenio and Belkis, have been working to think of a time when they might bring all the Arc children on a trip to the beach. Many of them have never been outside of Constanza, let alone to the beach. After much planning (there were 32 of us, after all) the trip was set for last weekend.

On Friday afternoon we began our 2 hour journey in two vans bound for Jaraboa for the night. We were invited to spend the night with The Arc I to make the trip a little shorter on Saturday. It provided so much more for the children from Constanza, however. They were able to meet another part of the Kids Alive family and know that the are not alone! When we arrived there was a worship service already in progress and one of the kids asked me with big eyes, "We get to go in there?" It was great to see everyone enjoying themselves in this atmosphere. The Arc I was already planning a movie night/pajama party and we all slept overnight in the multi-use building on matresses on the floor.

The next morning came early, but we were all excited to get to the beach so it wasn't hard to wake everyone up. 2 1/2 hours later we arrived at the public beach in Sousoua on the north shore of the island. It was so much fun to see their faces when they went into the water the first time. As predicted, there were a couple who preferred not to go in, but to play in the sand. Arcenio arranged for us all to take a glass bottom boat ride so we could see the tropical fish. This was a real highlight!

The drive back to Constanza was quiet and satisfying, knowing that we shared something with the children they will never forget. Arcenio, Belkis, Craig, and I agreed that next year will be soon enough to think about repeating this trip.

2 comments:

Andrew Smith said...

That beach stuff looks fun. I wish I had been there! I am beginning to think about coming back next year. I miss you guys! I hope that all is well in Constanza.

Gail Evans said...

Hey Libby and Fam... we at Thornapple have been praying we get to return in 2009. It's great to read your blog... we miss you!
Gail